Monday, February 22, 2010

John, Chapter 1-5

After I received a comment on my blog from yesterday, I got inspired just to do what I always felt the need to do, which was just to dive into God's word. (Remember, yesterday I said I had a lazy problem?) For the last several months, I've just wanted to read the Bible like I would read any other book, however, the Bible isn't just any other book. One of my many (4) Bibles has a "What Do I Read Today?" section in the back. This particular Bible is a Teen Study Bible, so it sort of helps you navigate through the Bible with interactives. A few months ago, my friend Shelbee and I had started reading the book of John. We didn't get very far, but last night I just thought I would pick up there and start reading and read the first five chapters.

In Chapter 1, John gives us his testimony about Jesus and tells us how the first disciples come to be. Chapter 2 reveals the events when Jesus turned water into wine and when he cleared the temple courts of Jerusalem. This is also the first time Jesus predicts his own death and rising. In Chapter 3 we see Jesus teaching Nicodemus and John revealing more of his testimony. Since, in Chapter 4, Jesus talks with a Samaritan woman, more people come to believe in him. He also heals the Official's son and rejoins his disciples. In Chapter 5, a paralized man walks again, Jesus explains that he can work on the Sabbath, and there are more testimonies about Jesus!

In some of these stories, such as the Water turning to Wine and the Paralized man walking, we aren't meant to question whether Jesus could perform them, but rejoice that he did! He did not have to give his life for us, but he did! God loves us and we can see that through his actions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mrs. Jennifer left me a comment yesterday and I was eager to read the verses she left. She is completely right! In my Study Bible, there is actually a *note* about Psalm 139-13-18! It reads "Ever get really down and feel like no one understands you? Whenever you do, it's a good time to read Psalm 139:13-16. These verses remind you that God understands you better than you understand yourself. Best of all, God loves you and watches over you. God is all around you. He has laid his hand on you, You are his, and he is yours." In Romans 8:38-39, we are reminded that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God! It's really nice to know that God understands me and loves me for me.

Much Love & God Bless,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment